Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Odds and Ends


Blog?  Did somebody mention a blog?  Sheesh.  I haven't been very conscientious lately.

Elizabeth was in town this weekend, and she's on a bit of a pumpkin kick.  Since she arrived the day after her birthday, I decided to bake a pumpkin cake.  It was a layer cake with pumpkin pastry cream between the layers and a cream cheese frosting, and it tasted good!  I have some kinks to work out:  when I do, I'll post the recipe.

And Thanksgiving's coming:  any special recipe requests?




Presidents Crow and Obama at ASU Commencement, 2009

Meanwhile (because you need something to read, obviously), Arizona State University president Michael Crow has published this very eloquent defense of the liberal arts in Slate Magazine.  To the governor of Florida I would make this observation:  it seems to me that the idea of deciding how many of each occupation was needed and training the population accordingly has been tried before--by the Soviet Union and Maoist China.  Last time I looked, those were, um, communist countries.

No comments:

Post a Comment