Tuesday, May 10, 2011

The REAL News

It never fails, does it?  While I was busily writing the post below, something really important was happening--something I might have failed to notice.  Fortunately, I had to go outside to put the recycling bin on the curb.  And while I was out there, I discovered that the cereus--an amazing cactus that more or less hides in a corner of the yard--was blooming.  This is especially remarkable as neither Sue nor I had noticed the bud.

Here it is:  the first cactus flower of the season.  If we're lucky, the plant will yield fruit--a mildly sweet, firm-fleshed thing that is sometimes called a cactus apple.  Quite delicious.

4 comments:

  1. Is that the nightblooming cereus? The flower looks right but usually the cactus is pretty skinny and sticklike. Anyway enjoy it, they are goregous but don't last long!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it's a Peruvian Cereus. Related to the nightblooming (and it blooms at night), but the cactus itself is a lot more substantial.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good stuff! So glad you noticed it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am, too, Pam, because there's a good chance it'll be completely gone by the morning.

    ReplyDelete